According to IDC, the worldwide mobile phone market grew 4% year-over-year in the “slow” first quarter of 2013. As per the research firm, vendors shipped a total of 418.6 million mobile phones in 1Q13 when compared to 402.4 million units in the 1Q12 and 483.2 million units in the 4Q12. In the worldwide smartphone market, vendors shipped 216.2 million units in 1Q13 while market grew 41.6% compared to the 152.7 million units shipped in 1Q12, but 5.1% lower than the 227.8 million units shipped in 4Q12.
Smartphone Vendor Highlights:
- Samsung shipped more units than the next four vendors combined and topped the smartphone shipment chart with shipping 70.7 million units in 1Q13, grabbing 32.7% market share.
- Apple’s smartphone shipment volume hit a new first-quarter high thanks in part to the iPhone 5, with volume growing 6.6% year over year. Apple shipped 37.4 million smartphone units in 1Q13, grabbing 17.3% market share
- LG returned to the smartphone Top 5 with shipping 10.3 million smartphone units, grabbing 4.8% market share.
- Huawei has shown significant improvement from where it was a year ago, shipping 9.9 million smartphone units, and grabbed 4.6% market share.
- ZTE’s 1Q13 performance continued the trends established last year, with a strong showing in Asia/Pacific and North America, but a small presence in EMEA and Latin America, the company shipped 9.1 million smartphone units and grabbed 4.2% market share.