The holidays are a special time of year that reminds people how much they love and miss their families. With many families spread out around the country and even the world, it can be difficult to stay in touch. The key to that statement is that it can be difficult, but it is not impossible.
Gifts mailed from home are typical fare to reach out and show you care. With the advent of the internet, browsing retailers and selecting presents for your special ones is easier than ever. With sites available such as www.chrismasgifts.com, even shipping is handled for you. If a more personal touch is desired, by using a few creative tricks noted below, families can be together during holidays, or anytime, regardless of how many miles separate them.
Tips For Bringing Families Together
1. Skype. This incredible Internet based service allows anyone with the service and a webcam to video chat. The distance between you does not matter, you only need to have a webcam and know how to turn it on. It is the perfect tool to let you have face-to-face conversations with your loved ones across the miles.
2. Newsletter. While this does not provide you with the same type of communication as a video chat, a monthly newsletter distributed to all relatives can keep everyone up-to-date about the lives of their loved ones. It is also a great way to post events that you want everyone to attend.
3. Interactive Family Site. Set up a website that everyone has access to and everyone will use to keep in touch. Allow pictures, videos, and posts to be placed on the site by all members. This is much more personal than relying on public social media.
4. Annual Family Tradition. In some cases, it can be impossible to have everyone together or to have access to the Internet. Establish a family tradition “token.” It can be anything, a tin full of a certain type of cookies, a certain type of holiday decoration, it does not matter. Make sure that if the family member cannot be present during the holidays that they receive this special gift in the mail to have a symbol of their families love. You can be together, even if it is only in thought.
5. Pre-Arranged Traveling Holiday. Make plans with all relatives to designate one holiday per year that everyone attends. Host the event in a different city (or country!) each year to distribute the responsibilities, and give everyone a chance to travel and visit someone else.
As family members follow their career and life paths far from their childhood home, there will always be a need and desire to stay in touch with their family. The holidays remind everyone that they have family and friends that they love and that love them.
Creating special traditions or ensuring that you can stay in contact with these family members is just as important as the celebration of the holiday. All members of the family will appreciate the efforts of the other members to keep the relationships close, and each member will find a way to return that kindness. And that is what the holiday spirit is truly all about.
If gifting is a mainstay in your family’s traditions, website shopping can make it convenient, fast and easy to choose the perfect present. For instance www.christmasgifts.com says, “We feature a variety of Christmas gift ideas from large to small, frugal to extravagant, and simple to grandiose.”
Photo Credit: Flickr/Eden, Janine and Jim