The way in which Skype works is that it adjusts the video calling feature according to your Internet speed, in order to give the best experience to the user. During a Skype call, it is quite common for users to suffer from issues such as poor video quality, inability to hear the other person, slow video buffering, videos getting stuck and a multitude of other problems. Many people assume that this issue is due to using a slow Internet speed. However, this is incorrect. Often, there are many ways to fix your Skype video call and conference experience without there being an issue with the Internet speed. These methods include fixing Skype’s registry errors, cleaning extra files from your computer to free up storage space and enhancing computer services using RegInOut System Utilities.
RegInOut released an extreme gaming profile which can significantly enhance the speed of your Skype video call, without any stuttering. Download it here:
Find and Delete Corrupt Application Data Files
Often times, older Skype application data files can get corrupted due to a multitude of reasons. This can cause stuttering in Skype video and audio call quality. Follow these simple steps to get rid of these corrupted or partially damaged application data files. This will allow you to utilize much faster video and audio calls.
- Click the File Explorer icon on the Taskbar.
- Click the View tab on the ribbon interface.
- Check the Hidden items box.
- Open the following location:
- Change the name of Skype sub folder to Skype_Backup
Get Rid of Your Computer’s History & Cookies
Cookies allow applications and websites to make note of a user’s preferences, help enhance the performance, recognize content and store non-sensitive user data. Unfortunately, cookies can also cause stuttering and slow video calls because the conversation history between you and your friends and cookies can get corrupted.
Follow these steps to delete stores conversation history and cookies:
- Open Skype.
- Press the Alt key on your keyboard.
- Click Tools menu, choose Options.
- Click Privacy tab in the newly opened dialog.
- Click Privacy Settings | Show advanced options.
- Click Clear History and then Clear Skype Cookies.
- Close the dialog.
Upgrade Your Skype Version
It is important to keep using the latest update of any application, because the developers constantly keep solving common issues and making new builds. Follow these steps to upgrade your Skype software in order to enjoy faster video conferencing:
- Click the Help menu after pressing Alt.
- Select Check for Updates.
- Skype will check for any updates. Wait a while.
- After a new update is found, click Download.
Upgrade Your Graphics Card Drivers
A lot of the times people suffer from slow video and audio calling on Skype due to outdated graphics card drivers. It is important to know which kind of video card your computer has installed, and to keep it updated for optimum performance.
Follow these simple steps to upgrade your graphics card drivers:
- Type DxDiag in the Search Box on the Taskbar.
- This will open up the DirectX Diagnostic Tool dialog.
- In the Drivers category you’d be able to see driver name, version, manufacturer, date of release, video card model, and other relevant information.
- Exit the dialog.
- Visit the website of your Graphics Card manufacturer.
- Go to the Downloads section.
- Select your operating system and obtain latest driver for your model.
- Start the download; install the files after successful completion.
Check Your Internet Bandwidth
The reason that your Internet’s bandwidth speed matters is because it is the rate at which information is transferred per unit of time. This is usually in kbps or mbps. It is quite common for Skype videos to stutter as a result of issues pertaining to applications that consume a lot of Internet, a user’s Internet browsing activity, background applications, streaming applications etc. Here are a few useful tips that will enhance your Skype call quality and speed:
- Shut down any browser tabs that you are not using currently
- Exit system tray icons of unwanted applications
- Do not allow automatic updating of Windows and standalone apps
- Shut down online music, video streaming applications such as Netflix, TV shows