When people think about “work at home jobs” they think that it is going to be an easy take off. Most people instantly think that they are going to “get rich quick”. However, the truth of the matter is once you decide to work from home it is not going to be anything like you imagined.
Common Myths Associated to Working from Home
- You are your own boss: Most people want to work from home because they think it will allow them to be their own boss. This is something that is false. When you work from home you are still going to have deadlines to be met and if you do not meet them you will not be paid. Working from home does allow you to be more flexible with your work but you are not your own boss. Suggested Reading: If you don’t believe me check out this post, “3 Things They Forgot to Tell You about Being Your Own Boss”.
- Working from home is easy: A lot of people enter the work at home world thinking that since they will be in the comfort of their home it will be easy. However, this could not be further from the truth. Working from home is a far cry from being easy. Since you are in your home you have to avoid being distracted by the television and other people in your home. Not everyone is going to understand that even though you are at home you are still working. Second, since most work at home jobs require you to work from your computer you are going to have to avoid being distracted by the internet. The internet is a big time sucker with so many things for you to do and see. However, you have to stay focused on your daily tasks if you want to make good money working from home.
How to Be Successful When Working From Home
If you want to be successful when working from home regardless of the job title you plan to wear you are going to have to possess the following qualities.
- Determination: As with most other jobs you are going to have to be determined to make a full time living online. It is something that can be done, however. You have to keep in mind that you are not going to make a full time income over night but it is something that can be accomplished if you are determined.
- Set Business Hours: Most people who work at home find themselves burning out quickly. This is because they do not have business hours in place. They feel as though they always have to be on call if they want to make a decent amount of income from home. But, the truth is business hours must be in place or you are going to burn out and find yourself back in the real word job market very soon.
- Suggested Reading: If you need help setting your business hours check out this article, “Things to Consider When Choosing Freelance Working Hours”.
Overall, before you consider working from home you must outweigh the pros and the cons. Working from home can be an ideal fit for some while not for others. It is always encouraged to slowly branch into working from home instead of quitting your job and jumping straight in. This way you can get a feel for the environment and decide whether or not it is something that would be a match for you. There are lots of articles throughout the web to help aid you through your journey. The key is researching before making the decision that working from home is for you.
Photo Credit: Flickr/Dylan