Travel enthusiasts who plan a trip to South East Asia often wonder which places to visit. There are so many places to visit that it is sometimes hard to narrow down where to go. If you want to take full advantage of your trip and visit the most amazing and breathtaking destinations, then make sure that you include these top 10 places in South East Asia to your itinerary.
Luang Prabang, Laos
Classified as a UNESCO World Heritage site, Luang Prabang boasts a fusion of traditional wooden huts and intricate European architecture. A charming place where you can:
- Visit a number of Buddhist temples
- Explore the amazing Kuang Si waterfalls
- Enjoy boat rides on the Mekong river
- Indulge in the serenity and tranquility of the wild life resources.
No trip to the South East Asia is complete without spending some time in Luang Prabang.
When thinking of visiting Vietnam, the name that comes to mind is Hanoi. Although Hanoi is breathtakingly beautiful in its own way, but if you truly want to enjoy the beauty of Vietnam, don’t miss out on visiting Hue. The Imperial city of Hue is a must see in order to get a flavor of the exotic and rich historical culture of Vietnam.
After exploring the opulent monuments, magnificent pagodasand intricate tombs, you can enjoy a relaxing time on one of the famous beaches of Vietnam:
- Thuan An beach
- Lang Co beach
What South East Asian vacation can be complete without visiting the beautiful Bali? So make sure that Ubud is another must visit place on your itinerary. The top 5things you can do in Ubud include:
- Explore the historical monument at Gunung Kawi, which consists of 10 amazing rock carved shrines.
- Visit the Monkey Forest, which is the home to the Balinese macaques. In addition to the naughty monkeys in the forest, you can also see the Temple of Death or “Pura Dalem Agung”
- Check out the temple of the knowledge goddess, Saraswati, which is located amongst thousands of lotus flowers in a water garden.
- Tegallalang rice terraces are a must see tourist attraction of Bali. There are no other rice paddies which look as stunning as these amazing terraced fields
- Walk around the Royal family’s residence, which is located in the center of Ubud. The buildings are magnificent and the grounds are stunning.
The gorgeous white sand beach of Boracay has a lot to offer.Whether you are looking for a romantic getaway or a great deal of partying, Boracay can help you unwind, relax and enjoy your South East Asian vacation.You can indulge in water sports or take a calming day at the spas for a memorable trip at one of the top beaches of the world.
Lake Toba, Indonesia
A wonder in itself, Lake Toba is partly a lake and partly a volcano. No trip to Indonesia is complete without visiting this awe inspiring place. The hot springs near the giant lake are a finder’s delight!
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
When you visit the historic capital of Cambodia you will not only be mesmerized by the beauty that this small country has to offer, but will be happy to enjoy it all on a small budget as well. Whether you visit the Royal Palace, go to the Silver Pagoda or take a tour of the Phnom Chisor Temple, Phnom Penh has a lot of places which you are sure to enjoy!
For many tourists Bangkok is just like a wonderland. From modern shopping districts to golden palaces and beautiful temples, Bangkok has a lot to offer! When you are in Bangkok, be sure to visit the following landmarks to make the most of your trip:
- Grand Palace
- Wat Pho Temple of the reclining Buddha
- Wat Arun Temple
- Gardens of Dusit
- Siam Square
Bagan, Myanmar houses 3,000 temples and is therefore a must visit place in South East Asia. This historic city is full of temples and ruins which allow tourists to fully absorb the architecture and traditions of this picturesqueplace. When you visit Bagan, be sure to visit these temples:
- Thatbyinnyu is the tallest standing temple in Bagan. It is a double storied temple, but the construction is completely different from similar taller temples in the area.
- The most beautiful temple of Bagan, known as Ananda is a place where pilgrims from all around the country gather for an annual festival in the beginning of every year.
- The bad luck temple or Dhammayangyi is another must see in Bagan. Its intricate brickwork is amazing to look at!
Most people go to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, but Penang, which is up the west coast of KL and near the Thai border is a great place to visit in Malaysia. Here you will find a perfect fusion where east meets west. The historic charm and modernity are both mixed in a delightful way to make your stay marvelous. The astonishing coasts and scrumptious cuisines hold a great appeal to Malaysian tourist.
Lhasa is also known as the “Land of Gods”. This South East Asian city is one of the world’s highest cities and has a lot of religious significance as well. The two most foremost things to see in Lhasa include:
- Potala Palace is the focal point of the city’s skyline. This palace is where Dalai Lama used to live.
- Jokhang temple is the most sacred site in the city and also a prominent feature of the skyline!
Photo Credit: Flickr/Wohin Auswandern