Sony has reported its consolidated financial results for the third quarter, ended December 31, 2012. The company posted an operating profit of 46.4 billion yen ($534 million) in its third quarter 2012, compared to a 97.1 billion yen loss from the same period it reported a year ago. The sales and operating revenues for the third quarter was 1,948 billion yen ($2.239 billion), up 6.9% from the same period a year ago with a net loss of 10.8 billion yen ($115 million).
- Imaging Products & Solutions (IP&S): Sales decreased 4.7% year-on-year (a 9% decrease on a constant currency basis) to 180.5 billion yen ($2.075 billion) while Operating loss decreased 3.9 billion yen year-on-year to 2.9 billion yen ($33 million).
- Game: Sales decreased 15.1% year-on-year (an 18% decrease on a constant currency basis) to 268.5 billion yen ($3.086 billion) while Operating income decreased 29.2 billion yen year-on-year to 4.6 billion yen ($53 million).
- Mobile Products & Communications (MP&C): Sales increased 94.4% year-on-year (a 92% increase on a constant currency basis) to 318.8 billion yen ($3.665 billion) while Operating loss decreased 27.1 billion yen year-on-year to 21.3 billion yen ($245 million).
- Home Entertainment & Sound (HE&S): Sales decreased 17.9% year-on-year (a 22% decrease on a constant currency basis) to 323.8 billion yen ($3.722 billion) while Operating loss decreased 81.8 billion yen year-on-year to 8.0 billion yen ($92 million).
- Devices: Sales decreased 6.8% year-on-year (an 11% decrease on a constant currency basis) to 217.3 billion yen ($2.498 billion) while Operating income of 9.7 billion yen ($111 million).
- Pictures: Sales increased 30.1% year-on-year (a 22% increase on a constant currency (U.S. dollar) basis) to 208.9 billion yen ($2.402 billion) while Operating income increased 24.6 billion yen year-on-year to 25.3 billion yen ($291 million).
- Music: Sales increased 2.4% year-on-year (a 1% decrease on a constant currency basis) to 126.4 billion yen ($1.453 billion) while operating income increased 1.1 billion yen year-on-year to 16.4 billion yen ($188 million).
- Financial services: Revenue increased 21.0% year-on-year to 266.4 billion yen ($3.062 billion) while operating income increased 1.6 billion yen year-on-year to 34.2 billion yen ($394 million).