Microsoft a few months ago plans on releasing a second Community Technology Preview (CTP) build on its Hadoop on Azure product. Today the software giant has announced the general availability (GA) of SQL Server 2012 for purchase and download. SQL Server 2012 has already been deployed for production use by hundreds of global, industry-leading customers.
Microsoft also announced plans to expand the capacity of the technology preview to 2,000 participants. SQL Server 2012 delivers a powerful new set of capabilities for mission-critical workloads, business intelligence and hybrid IT across traditional datacenters and public and private clouds. This includes:
- SQL Server AlwaysOn, a new high availability solution delivering increased application availability, lower TCO and ease of use.
- xVelocity, in-memory technologies significantly boost data warehouse and analytics performance by up to 100x.
- Power View, a web-based, highly interactive, data visualization and presentation solution designed to enable business users and decision makers to quickly discover meaningful insights from their data.
- Data integration and management, new and enhanced tools to deliver credible, consistent data to the right users at the right time, including new SQL Server Data Quality Services and enhanced Master Data Services.
- Enhanced PowerPivot functionalities enable customers to leverage new advanced analytic capabilities and further ease of use while still working within the familiar tools provided by Excel.
- The new Business Intelligence (BI) Semantic Model provides a single, scalable model for BI applications, from reporting and analysis to dashboards and scorecards.
- SQL Server Data Tools, a new tool that unifies SQL Server and cloud SQL Azure development for both professional database and application developers.