Australia has blocked China’s Huawei from bidding for contracts in the country’s $38 billion National Broadband Network (NBN) due to cyber security concerns. The decision was made on the advice from Australian Security Intelligence Organization (ASIO) over cyber attacks originating from China. The Australian Financial Review said in a report earlier on Monday that Huawei was seeking to secure a supply contract worth up to A$1 billion ($1.04 billion) with NBN, but has been blocked by the Attorney-General’s department.
NBN is a huge nationwide project that will connect 93 percent of Australian homes and workplaces with optical fibre. Created in 2009 by the Australia government with committed investment of up to $38 billion and is expected to be ready by 2020. “We were informed by the government that there is no role for Huawei in Australia’s NBN,” said Jeremy Mitchell, a spokesman in Australia for Huawei. A spokesman for Attorney-General Nicola Roxon told Reuters in a statement: “This is consistent with the government’s practice for ensuring the security and resilience of Australia’s critical infrastructure more broadly.”
(Image Source: Flickr)