The social giant Facebook today announced its third quarter results, ended September 2012. The company reported the revenue totalling $1.26 billion, an increase of 32% compared with $954 million in the same period last year. The net income (loss) for the quarter was ($0.02), compared to $0.10 for the same quarter in the prior year.
The quarter reported the costs and expenses of $885 million, an increase of 64% from the quarter a year ago while GAAP income from operation was $377 million, compared to $414 million for the same quarter a year ago.
Q3 2012 Operational Highlights:
- Monthly active users (MAUs) were 1.01 billion as of September 30, 2012, an increase of 26% year-over-year
- Daily active users (DAUs) were 584 million on average for September 2012, an increase of 28% year-over-year
- Mobile MAUs were 604 million as of September 30, 2012, an increase of 61% year-over-year
- Launched several new advertising products, such as Custom Audiences, Facebook Exchange, Offers, and mobile app install ads
- Generated 14% of advertising revenue during the third quarter from mobile
- Connected 1 billion people since founding the company eight years ago
- Created Facebook Stories, a new website to share the stories of people using Facebook in extraordinary ways at www.facebookstories.com
- Closed Instagram acquisition
- Opened first international engineering office in London