Apple today released Podcasts app, defining it as an easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. All what you require is a device with iOS 5.1 or later. Optionally syncing episodes requires iTunes 10.6.3 or later. Streaming or downloading episodes requires internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection.
Here’s what the app features:
- Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
- Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
- Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
- Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
- Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices